Saturday, February 18, 2012

Day One: Let the games begin!

A while ago I got the bright idea that I could lose weight just by basic, common knowledge, biology and health. I posited the idea that we can shape ourselves up in a Spartan manner, but with the most minimal of effort and strain. I've used a month or so to tweak my ideas and with plenty of trial and error I think I've found something that will work really well for me, and pretty well for anyone else. We're all different but all essentially the same at the core. YMMV (Your mileage may vary).

The original plan was to be a stripped down meal plan that provided the vitamins, minerals and proteins, without any inclusion of meat and dairy products. Mostly a variety of beans, fruits, vegetables complemented with water and the odd alcoholic beverage or two. Most importantly, no sweets or extra sugar outside what was already naturally found in the food. As far as the physical aspect, it was to be ten to fifteen minute workouts, single sets to failure (until I can't do anymore), every day to keep things easy. That was the original plan, so I set out to see if it could be done, what it would be like, and what effects would take place if I did something else.

What I found was that I could lose a pound a day, increase my energy and basically feel full and happy when I stuck to the plan with a few tweaks. The times I went back to French fries, soda and not working out, plus a ton of starches like bread, I gained the weight back just as fast as I lost it, and I was tired again. So now I know what works and what doesn't, I know how to manipulate my biology so that can I can gain and lose at will - with minimal effort either way.

Now I'm going to begin again as originally planned but with the addition of what I learned. I won't eat a single thing after 10PM (I tend to stay up late - a lot), stick to the high protein and high vitamin bean meals with a fruit for most of the day and then whatever vegan meal Jamie cooks at dinner. If I need to snack, I'll have a veggie or something similar. I've researched carbonated water a ton, and found (through places like The Mayo Clinic) that it's just as good as water since... that's all it is, is water with bubbles. If I crave soda, I could add a few shots of Mio and be good. Otherwise, plain water will do. I need 1,200 calories a day to keep my weight loss constant and I need to eat the calories I lost while working out, so that my metabolism is well fueled.

What I planned is to keep from being tortured, and it worked so far. I was full and full of energy. Most people I see working out are torturing themselves, and just go back to what broke them in the first place. Obviously if something sucks you're not going to stick with it. This way I'm not tortured or strained. Just a simplified and basic way to get toned to a natural state. So, as I progress down the fifty (50) pounds I intend to lose, I'll be the Guinea pig for my hypothesis so that everyone can find out with me if this crazy idea will work in the end.